Funding Opportunities for Translational Research
The mission of California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) is to accelerate world class science to deliver transformative regenerative medicine treatments in an equitable manner to a diverse California and world.
The objective of this initiative is to create a highly competitive opportunity for promising regenerative medicine (stem cell-based or gene therapy) projects that accelerate completion of translational stage activities necessary for advancement to clinical study or broad end use for any one of the following product types:
- TRAN 1: Stem cell-based or gene therapy therapeutic candidate
- TRAN 2: Diagnostic (including medical imaging agents) based on stem cells, or critical for stem cell-based or gene therapy development or use
- TRAN 3: Medical device (non-diagnostic) for a stem cell-based therapy or critical for stem cell-based or gene therapy development or use
- TRAN 4: Novel tool that addresses a critical bottleneck to the discovery or development of stem cell-based or gene therapy
Project outcomes, allowable activities, and what qualifies for each of the above product types are described in the corresponding Appendices: A, B, C, and D. The overall application and review process and general requirements for all product types are described in main document.
Please see the Program Announcement for full details. Please note that this is an updated Program Announcement that incorporates revisions in the new TRAN concept plan:
- Funding Opportunity for Translational Research Projects [pdf] (updated 11.03.2022)
Applications for 2022 are due by 2pm on July 12 and December 13. The application is available in the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov).
Future applicants who are interested in reading reviewer feed back on previous TRAN applications, please refer to the review summaries below. For previous versions of the TRAN Program Announcement, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page.
Translational Stage projects seeking additional options for operational support are encouraged to contact The Cell and Gene Therapy Center .
To Submit an Application:
- Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, Click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
- After logging in, click on the Menu tab. Select the tab labeled "Open Programs". Under the section labeled "RFAs and Programs Open for Applications", click on the "Start a Grant Application" link for your selected program.
- Complete each section of the Application by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. Proposal templates can be located and submitted under the "Uploads" section.
- To submit your Application, click on the "Done with Application" button. The "Done with Application" button will be enabled when all of the mandatory sections have been completed. Please note that once this has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your Application.
- To confirm submission of your Application, select the tab labeled "Your Applications" and check the table under the section labeled "Your Submitted Applications". You will see your Application number and project title listed once the submission process has been completed.