Clinical Trial Stage Projects
The mission of California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) is to accelerate stem cell treatments to patients with unmet medical needs. With this initiative, we intend to speed up support for clinical stage candidate stem cell treatments that demonstrate scientific excellence. Under this initiative, we will provide funding for eligible projects that are completing late stage preclinical development through any stage of clinical trial activity.
CIRM is establishing an open call for proposals and will accept applications on a monthly basis for three complementary award types described in the Program Announcements listed below. Please note that the Program Announcements have been updated.
- CLIN 1: Partnering Opportunity for Late Stage Preclinical Projects [pdf] (updated 11.28.18)
- CLIN 2: Partnering Opportunity for Clinical Trial Stage Projects [pdf] (updated 04.19.19)
- CLIN 3: Partnering Opportunity for Stem Cell Therapy Registration Clinical Trials [pdf] (updated 04.19.18)
CIRM Funding Note:
CIRM anticipates that the budget allocation of funds for new awards under the CIRM clinical program (CLIN1, CLIN2 and CLIN3) may be depleted within the next two to three months. CIRM will accept applications for the monthly deadline on June 28, 2019 but will suspend application submissions after that date until further notice. All applicants should note that the review of submitted applications may be halted at any point in the process if funds are depleted prior to completion of the 3-month review cycle. CIRM will notify applicants of such an occurrence. Therefore, submission and acceptance of an application to CIRM does not guarantee the availability of funds or completion of a review cycle.
The submission of applications for the CIRM/NHLBI Cure Sickle Cell Initiative (CLIN1 SCD, CLIN2 SCD) are unaffected and application submissions for this program will remain open.
For previous versions of the CLIN Program Announcements, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page.
Clinical Stage projects seeking additional options for operational support are encouraged to contact The Cell and Gene Therapy Center.
To Submit an Application:
- Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, Click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
- After logging in, Click on the Menu tab. Select the tab labeled "Open Programs". Under the section labeled "RFAs and Programs Open for Applications", click on the "Start a Grant Application" link for your selected program.
- Complete each section of the Application by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. Proposal templates can be located and submitted under the "Uploads" section.
- To submit your Application, click on the "Done with Application" button. The "Done with Application" button will be enabled when all of the mandatory sections have been completed. Please note that once this has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your Application.
- To confirm submission of your Application, select the tab labeled "Your Applications" and check the table under the section labeled "Your Submitted Applications". You will see your Application number and project title listed once the submission process has been completed.