Grant Award Details
- The objective of this award is to develop a soluble decellularized extracellular matrix that can dampen acute lung inflammation and improve pulmonary function in COVID-19 patients.
Grant Application Details
- Pro-healing biomaterial for treating lung inflammation associated with COVID-19
Pro-healing biomaterial to treat lung inflammation and promote recovery.
COVID-19 associated acute respiratory distress syndrome
Major Proposed Activities
- Evaluate biomaterial for ability to reduce lung inflammation in rodent model
- Evaluate biomaterial for ability to recruit stem cells in the lung
- Evaluate biomaterial for ability to improve lung function in rodent model
- Evaluate biomaterial for ability to recruit human stem cells
In late-June 2020, there are more than 5,700 Californians who are currently hospitalized because of COVID-19 (tested positive or suspected) with over 1,300 confirmed COVID-19 patients in the ICU. A significant number of severe cases involve a negative inflammatory response in the lungs leading to respiratory failure. We aim to develop a new therapeutic that can treat this inflammation and promote lung healing thereby having potential benefit to thousands of Californians.