Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling
RFA 12-02: CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards
This RFA 12-02, CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards, is one of three RFAs released as part of the CIRM human induced pluripotent stem cell (hiPSC) Initiative, which consists of RFAs 12-02, 12-03 and 12-04. The overall goal of the Initiative is to generate and ensure the availability of high quality disease-specific hiPSC resources for disease modeling, target discovery and drug discovery and development for prevalent, genetically complex diseases. The RFA 12-02 Awards will support procurement of the donor tissue samples needed for the establishment of this resource.
As part of the CIRM hiPSC Initiative, the RFA 12-02 Awards will fund clinicians and other scientists to identify, recruit and obtain consent from sufficient numbers of affected and unaffected individuals (controls) to represent effectively a given disease’s manifestations. These clinicians and scientists (“Tissue Collectors”) will then collect tissue samples for hiPSC line generation, along with appropriate demographic, medical and/or diagnostic information. Tissue samples collected under this RFA will be provided to the recipient of the CIRM RFA 12-03 hiPSC Derivation Award (“Deriver”) for the production of hiPSC lines. Once the Deriver has generated, characterized and released the hiPSC lines, the Deriver will ship them to the CIRM human pluripotent stem cell (hPSC) Repository that will be established under RFA 12-04. The Repository will expand, characterize for quality, bank and distribute cell lines, and associated coded demographic, medical and/or diagnostic information, to interested investigators.
Please see RFA 12-02 for full details of the CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards.
RFA 12-02: CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards [pdf]
Appendix A (Model Informed Consent Form) [pdf]
Appendix B (Key terms of MTAs and NGAs) [pdf]
CIRM conducted a webinar on July 19th, 2012 to address questions about the CIRM hiPSC Initiative RFAs 12-02, 12-03 and 12-04. Archived materials from this webinar are available for your reference at: http://www.cirm.ca.gov/webinar-hipsc-initiative
An eligible applicant must first submit a Letter of Intent (LOI) to CIRM following the instructions below. In the second step of the process, eligible applicants will submit an Application. The Application must have the same Principal Investigator and the same disease target described in the LOI, or it will be deemed ineligible.
Letter of Intent (LOI) Instructions
A Principal Investigator may submit only one LOI for RFA 12-02. The deadline for submission of an LOI is 5:00 pm (PDT) on August 14, 2012. No exceptions to this deadline will be made.
LOI Submission Instructions:
The Letter of Intent (LOI) must be submitted via the CIRM Grants Management Portal, as follows:
- Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
- After logging in, your home page will display a list of open RFAs or LOIs. Click on the "Start a Letter of Intent" link located to the right of the section labeled "RFA 12-02: CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards: Letter of Intent”.
- Complete the LOI by following the posted instructions.
- The “Done with Letter of Intent” button becomes enabled when all sections are complete. Select this button to complete your LOI submission. Once this button has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your LOI.
- To ensure the process is complete, go back to your home page and check for "RFA 12-02: CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards" in the section titled “Your Submitted Applications”.
The LOI must be received by CIRM no later than 5:00 pm (PDT) on August 14, 2012 via the CIRM Grants Management Portal. No exceptions to this deadline will be made.
Applications will only be accepted from applicants who 1) submitted an LOI and 2) meet the eligibility criteria (as defined in section VI of the RFA and based on information provided in the LOI). Application Forms will be available via the Grants Management Portal at https://grants.cirm.ca.gov/login/upgrade_browser by August 14, 2012.
The Application for the CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards RFA consists of four parts:
Part A: Application Information Form (Web-based form)
Part B: Proposal (MS Word template)
Part C: Biographical Sketches and Letters of Support (MS Word template)
Part D: Supporting Documentation
All four parts of the Application for CIRM Tissue Collection for Disease Modeling Awards must be submitted together and received by CIRM no later than 5:00 pm (PDT) on September 27, 2012, via the CIRM Grants Management Portal. It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet this deadline; no exceptions will be made.
|Schedule of CIRM deadlines and reviews||Date|
|LOI due||5:00 pm (PDT), August 14, 2012|
|Applications due||5:00 pm (PDT), September 27, 2012|
|Review of Applications by Grants Working Group (GWG)||December, 2012|
|Review and Approval by ICOC||Winter, 2013|
|Earliest Funding of Awards||Q2, 2013|
No exceptions will be made to the indicated deadlines.
For information about this RFA:
Uta Grieshammer, Ph.D.
California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Phone: (415) 396-9118
For information about the review process:
Gilberto R. Sambrano, Ph.D.
Senior Review Officer
California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Phone: (415) 396-9103
CIRM holds regular scientific workshops and meetings to update the scientific staff and CIRM grantees about particular areas of stem cell and related research.
- Engineering Strategies, Opportunities, and Challenges for Tissue Repair and Regeneration: CIRM Workshop Summary and Recommendati [pdf]
- Cell Therapies for Parkinson’s Disease from Discovery to Clinic [pdf]
- Alpha Stem Cell Clinics: Delivering a New Kind of Medicine [pdf]
- Cerebral Palsy Workshop Report [pdf]