Tools and Technologies III
RFA 13-05: CIRM Tools and Technologies III Awards
The CIRM Tools and Technologies initiative intends to support research that can address regenerative medicine’s unique translational challenges. Tools and Technologies III will support the creation, design and testing of broadly applicable novel tools and technologies and the optimization, improvement, standardization or scale-up of existing tools or technologies for addressing translational bottlenecks to stem cell therapies.
This RFA includes participation by members of CIRM’s Collaborative Funding Partner (CFP) Program. Appendices A-E describe additional requirements and procedures for applications whose proposals include a request for funding from a CFP. To assist in the formation of collaborations, CIRM has also provided an online partnering forum as detailed in Appendix F.
Please see the RFA for full details.
- Appendix A: NHMRC, Australia [pdf]
- Appendix B: MOST, China [pdf]
- Appendix C: BMBF, Germany [pdf]
- Appendix D: NIH [pdf]
- Appendix E: FAPESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Check back by November 1st)
- Appendix F: Online Partnering Platform [pdf]
Submission of an application for this RFA involves a two-step process. Any eligible applicant may submit a single, brief Preliminary Application (PreApp). PreApps will be evaluated by scientific specialists from outside California who are experts in specific areas of research described in the PreApp and by CIRM scientific staff, based on the scientific review criteria described in Section IX of the RFA. Applicants submitting the most promising, competitive and responsive PreApp proposals will be invited to submit a detailed, full Application.
Preliminary Application (PreApp) Instructions
PreApps must be submitted online via the CIRM Grants Management Portal at https://grants.cirm.ca.gov.
Each PI may submit only a single PreApp for this RFA.
The deadline for submission is 5:00 pm (PST) on January 7, 2014. No exceptions to this deadline will be made.
To submit a Preliminary Application:
- Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, Click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
- After logging in, Click on the Menu tab. Select the link labeled "Open Programs". Undert the section labled "RFAs and Programs Open for Applications", click on the “Start a Preliminary Application” link corresponding to the "RFA 13-05 Tools and Technologies III: Preliminary Application" section.
- Using the drop down menu, identify the Institution from which you intend to apply and click "Save".
- Complete each section of the PreApp by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. The signature page template (an html print screen) can be found and submitted in the “Upload Required Documents” section.
- To submit your PreApp, click on the “Done with Preliminary Application” button. The “Done with Preliminary Application” button will be enabled when all required sections have been completed and the signature page uploaded. Please note that once this has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your PreApp.
- To confirm submission of your Preliminary Application, go back to your home page and check the list under the section labeled “Your Submitted Applications”. You will see your PreApp number and project title entered for RFA 13-05 Tools and Technologies III once the submission process has been completed.
Full Application Process
Full Applications will only be accepted from applicants who 1) submitted a PreApp and 2) are invited by CIRM to submit a full application.
The application for the Tools and Techologies III RFA consists of three parts:
Part A: Application Information Form (Web-based form)
Part B: Proposal (MS Word template)
Part C: Biographical Sketches (MS Word template) and Letters of Support
All three parts of the Tools and Technologies III application must be submitted together and received by CIRM no later than 5:00PM PDT on June 19, 2014 via the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov). It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet this deadline; no exceptions will be made.
|Schedule of CIRM Deadlines and Reviews||Date|
|Pre-Applications due||5:00 pm (PST), January 7, 2014|
|Invitations for Full Applications sent out by CIRM||Mid April, 2014|
|Full Applications due||5:00 pm (PDT), June 19, 2014|
|Scientific Review of Applications by Grants Working Group (GWG)||September, 2014|
|Review and Approval by ICOC||December, 2014|
|Earliest Funding of Awards||Winter, 2015|
No exceptions will be made to the indicated deadlines.
For information about this RFA or the review process:
Gilberto R. Sambrano, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Review
California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Phone: (415) 396-9103