Grant Award Details
- This grant enables an internship to be included within the CCSF existing Stem Cell Technology Certificate program. While most trainees are at the undergraduate level, the certification program is open to individuals with graduate level education or others with interest in stem cell technology. Internships are 6 months in length and take place at various institutes/companies around the Bay Area. The program was modified such that from grant Year 4 onward, the internships will be 9 months in duration.
Grant Application Details
- Stem Cell Training Enhancement Program
The proposed project will build on a robust stem cell technician training program already in place at the home institution, expanding and enhancing student training through the implementation of 10 internship experiences each year as well as a range of other support activities. Specifically, the proposed project will: ï‚§ Offer full-time internships to 10 students each year in CIRM-funded research laboratories or industry labs working with stem cells. Participating laboratories include both academic and industry labs throughout the region. Interns will be recruited from the pool of students who have completed a series of cell culture courses at the home institution and will engage in a six-month internship for which they will earn college credit. ï‚§ Offer a stem cell techniques course, comprising 24 instructional hours, that will prepare students to begin their internship experiences. ï‚§ Augment and update all existing cell culture courses with cutting-edge information, techniques, and equipment, serving approximately 60 community college students each year. ï‚§ Offer seminars twice each semester through an existing infrastructure that hosts lectures and events for community college students, faculty, and staff as well as community members. ï‚§ Engage a Project Director whose long-term experience in molecular biology and cell culture research will fully qualify her to implement the proposed project. ï‚§ Mentor trainees through a four-unit independent study course. The proposed program will greatly enhance the training of future stem cell laboratory personnel by augmenting the existing community college program with hands-on experience at an academic or industry laboratory over a six-month period. Students participating in this internship will gain a robust set of skills that will allow them to enter the workforce and make a substantial contribution to stem cell research. Furthermore, by enhancing partnerships between the home institution and regional academic and industry laboratories, the proposed project will pave the way for future student training and professional development activities for faculty members.
The proposed program will benefit the state of California and its citizens by providing high-quality training to a cadre of future stem cell research technicians. Over the three-year funding period, the proposed program will greatly enhance the training of future stem cell laboratory personnel by augmenting the existing community college program with hands-on experience at an academic or industry laboratory over a six-month period. Students participating in this internship will gain a robust set of skills that will allow them to enter the workforce and make a substantial contribution to stem cell research. Furthermore, by enhancing partnerships between the community college and regional academic and industry laboratories, the proposed project will pave the way for future student training, professional development activities for faculty members, and much more.
- Sci Rep (2017) Identification and characterization of a rich population of CD34(+) mesenchymal stem/stromal cells in human parotid, sublingual and submandibular glands. (PubMed: 28615711)
- Cell Rep (2017) Cellular Phenotypes in Human iPSC-Derived Neurons from a Genetic Model of Autism Spectrum Disorder. (PubMed: 29212016)
- Endocrinology (2016) Increased Gs Signaling in Osteoblasts Reduces Bone Marrow and Whole-Body Adiposity in Male Mice. (PubMed: 26901092)
- BMC Hematol (2015) A quantitative assessment of the content of hematopoietic stem cells in mouse and human endosteal-bone marrow: a simple and rapid method for the isolation of mouse central bone marrow. (PubMed: 26161262)
- Cell (2014) Systematic Identification of Barriers to Human iPSC Generation. (PubMed: 25036638)
- PLoS One (2014) The adult livers of immunodeficient mice support human hematopoiesis: evidence for a hepatic mast cell population that develops early in human ontogeny. (PubMed: 24819392)
- Am J Stem Cells (2013) A robust method to derive functional neural crest cells from human pluripotent stem cells. (PubMed: 23862100)
- Transfusion (2011) Cellular therapies supplement: the peritoneum as an ectopic site of hematopoiesis following in utero transplantation. (PubMed: 22074621)