Partnering Opportunity for Discovery Stage Research Projects
The mission of California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) is to accelerate stem cell treatments to patients with unmet medical needs.
The objective of the Discovery Program is to support exploratory research leading to the discovery of novel stem cell technologies to improve patient care.
DISC1: The Inception Awards
The Inception Awards Program provides seed funding to support the exploration of transformational ideas that hold the potential to greatly impact the field of human stem cell research, but that require the generation of additional data to be competitive for larger funding opportunities through CIRM or other sources. Please see the Program Announcement for full details.
- DISC 1 Program Announcement - Partnering Opportunity For Discovery Stage Research Projects: The Inception Awards [pdf] (updated 06.23.17)
CIRM is not accepting applications for the Inception Awards (DISC1) program at this time.
For previous versions of the DISC 1 PA, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page. Future applicants who are interested in reading reviewer feed back on previous DISC 1 applications, please refer to the review summaries below.
DISC2: The Quest Awards
The Quest Awards Program promotes the discovery of promising new stem cell-based technologies that could be translated to enable broad use and ultimately, improve patient care. Projects funded through the Quest Awards should propose technology that is uniquely enabled by human stem/progenitor cells or directly reprogrammed cells, or uniquely enabling for the advancement of stem cell-based therapies. Please see the Program Announcement for full details.
- DISC2 Program Announcement - Partnering Opportunity for Discovery Stage Research Projects: The Quest Awards [pdf] (updated 01.01.21)
The deadline for DISC2 submissions is 2pm on Thursday, September 9th. Applications for the DISC2 program will be available in the Grants Management Portal about two months before the application deadline.
For previous versions of the DISC2 Program Announcement, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page. Future applicants who are interested in reading reviewer feed back on previous DISC 2 applications, please refer to the review summaries below.
To Submit an Application:
- Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, Click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
- After logging in, click on the Menu tab. Select the tab labeled "Open Programs". Under the section labeled "RFAs and Programs Open for Applications", click on the "Start a Grant Application" link for your selected program.
- Complete each section of the Application by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. Proposal templates can be located and submitted under the "Uploads" section.
- To submit your Application, click on the "Done with Application" button. The "Done with Application" button will be enabled when all of the mandatory sections have been completed. Please note that once this has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your Application.
- To confirm submission of your Application, select the tab labeled "Your Applications" and check the table under the section labeled "Your Submitted Applications". You will see your Application number and project title listed once the submission process has been completed.