Partnering Opportunity for Discovery Stage Research Projects
The mission of California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) is to accelerate stem cell treatments to patients with unmet medical needs.
The objective of the Discovery Program is to support exploratory research leading to the discovery of novel stem cell technologies to improve patient care.
DISC 1: The Inception Awards
The Inception Awards Program provides seed funding to support the exploration of transformational ideas that hold the potential to greatly impact the field of human stem cell research, but that require the generation of additional data to be competitive for larger funding opportunities through CIRM or other sources. Please see the Program Announcement for full details.
- DISC 1 Program Announcement - Partnering Opportunity For Discovery Stage Research Projects: The Inception Awards [pdf] (updated 06.23.17)
The due date for applications for the next round is To Be Determined.
For previous versions of the DISC1 PA, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page.
DISC 2: The Quest Awards
The Quest Awards Program promotes the discovery of promising new stem cell-based technologies that could be translated to enable broad use and ultimately, improve patient care. Projects funded through the Quest Awards should propose technology that is uniquely enabled by human stem/progenitor cells or directly reprogrammed cells, or uniquely enabling for the advancement of stem cell-based therapies. Please see the Program Announcement for full details.
- DISC 2 Program Announcement - Partnering Opportunity for Discovery Stage Research Projects: The Quest Awards [pdf] (updated 06.05.17)
The due date for applications for the next round is TBD. It is anticipated that applications under this program announcement will be accepted at approximately 6 month intervals.
For previous versions of the DISC2 PA, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page.
DISC 3: The Challenge Award
The Challenge Award program provides funding to address or overcome key challenges in the stem cell field that are preventing or slowing the discovery of promising new stem cell technologies that could be rapidly translated towards improving patient care. Key challenges will be defined periodically by CIRM and announced in advance of each funding cycle.
Applications for the next Challenge Award, DISC 3.2, are To Be Determined. CIRM anticipates a revolving application cycle whereby new “challenges” are announced as DISC 3 opportunities.
For previous Challenge awards, please refer to our Previous Funding Opportunities page.
To Submit an Application:
- Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, Click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
- After logging in, select the tab labeled "Open Programs". Under the section labeled "RFAs and Programs Open for Applications", click on the applicable link to Start a DISC Grant Application.
- Complete each section of the Application by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. Proposal templates can be located and submitted under the "Uploads" section.
- To submit your Application, click on the "Done with Application" button. The "Done with Application" button will be enabled when all of the mandatory sections have been completed. Please note that once this has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your Application.
- To confirm submission of your Application, select the tab labeled "Your Applications" and check the table under the section labeled "Your Submitted Applications". You will see your Application number and project title listed once the submission process has been completed.