CIRM is governed by a 29-member Governing Board, the Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee (ICOC), which is composed of Californians with expertise in: (1) managing large research grants and complex institutions and conducting cutting edge medical research; (2) understanding the critical path for the development of successful experimental medical treatments and directing the approval process through the Food and Drug Administration and other regulatory bodies and ethical committees; and (3) advocating on behalf of Californians who suffer from a variety of chronic diseases and injuries. Among other responsibilities, the Board is charged with: (1) adopting scientific, medical, ethical, and intellectual property policies; (2) making final decisions on all grant and loan awards; and (3) overseeing the operations of CIRM. The board is made up of:
- Patient Advocates Our patient advocate members keep the agency's focus where it belongs: on the people who need cures for chronic disease and injury. They represent a wide range of diseases including diabetes, neurodegenerative diseases, HIV/AIDS, mental health and spinal cord injury.
- Biotechnology Industry The biotechnology leaders on our board ensure that our policies and funding draw on California's biotechnology expertise. With these board members guiding agency decisions we have confidence that the industry will be poised to work with CIRM to accelerate the process of getting these new therapies to the patients who need them.
- Research Leaders Having leaders in biomedical research on our board provides the agency with scientific expertise needed to direct the agency's funding initiatives. These members head nationally ranked medical schools and research institutes with track records of moving basic research to the clinic.
ICOC Board members Jonathan Thomas and Senator Art Torres.
Board members are appointed as follows:
- UC Chancellors: the Chancellors of University of California San Francisco, Davis, Los Angeles, San Diego and Irvine, can each appoint a single executive officer from the campus.
- Governor: An executive from a California University, an executive from a nonprofit research institution, an executive from a California life sciences company, a patient advocate for spinal cord injury, a patient advocate for Alzheimer's disease.
- Lieutenant Governor: An executive from a California University, an executive from a nonprofit research institution, an executive from a California life sciences company, a patient advocate for type 2 diabetes, a patient advocate for either multiple sclerosis or ALS.
- Treasurer: An executive from a California University, an executive from a nonprofit research institution, an executive from a California life sciences company, a patient advocate for type 1 diabetes, a patient advocate for heart disease.
- Controller: An executive from a California University, an executive from a nonprofit research institution, an executive from a California life sciences company, a patient advocate for cancer, a patient advocate for Parkinson's disease.
- Speaker of the Assembly: A patient advocate for mental health.
- President pro Tempore: A patient advocate for HIV/AIDS.
In addition, the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Treasurer and Controller each nominate one person for the position of Chair and Vice-chair. The appointed members of the governing board vote from among those nominees to select those two positions.
For a list of the current ICOC Board members, visit our Board Member page.
Subcommittees of the Board advise the Board on specific issues within the subcommittee’s subject area. Subcommittees help the Board work efficiently through various subject areas by creating subsets of Board members with specific expertise and interest in the given subject area.
- List of Subcommittee Members
- Application Review
- Intellectual Property and Industry Engagement
Please visit our public meetings page for upcoming Board meetings. The agenda for these meetings are generally posted one week in advance of the Board meeting date. Our 2018 Board meeting schedule is listed below.
- January 18th, 2018, Telephonic
- February 22nd, 2018, Telephonic
- March 13th, 2018, Bay Area
- April 26th, 2018, Telephonic
- May 24th, 2018, Telephonic
- June 28th, 2018, Bay Area
- July 19th, 2018, Telephonic
- August, 23rd, 2018, Telephonic - MEETING CANCELED
- September 20th, 2018,Telephonic
- October 18th, 2018, Bay Area
- November 15th, 2018, Telephonic
- December 13th, 2018, Bay Area
- List of 2018 Board Meetings
*Meeting dates and locations are subject to change
ICOC meeting agendas and transcripts are available in the meeting archives.