RFA 11-02 CIRM Early Translational III Research Awards
The CIRM Early Translational Research Initiative aims to fund and advance innovative translational stem cell science toward clinical development. The purpose of this CIRM Early Translational III Research Awards RFA is to support projects that enable the initial stage of translational research including the conduct of studies resulting in proof of concept for a potential development candidate and/or studies to select a Development Candidate (DC). The Early Translational Research Award is core to CIRM’s mission, and the agency plans to issue this RFA every one to two years to build a strong preclinical pipeline for patient therapies and cures.
This RFA includes participation by members of CIRM’s Collaborative Funding Partner Program. The CIRM Loan Program is also included in this RFA.
Please see the full RFA for details:
RFA 11-02: CIRM Early Translational III Research Awards [pdf]
Appendix A: Examples: In-Scope Research Activities, Milestones and Success Criteria
Appendix B: CIRM’s Translational Portfolio
Appendix C:CIRM Loan Terms
Appendix D: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in Australia
Appendix E: Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Appendix F: German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF)
Appendix G: Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China (MOST)
Submission of an application for the CIRM Early Translation III RFA involves a two-step process. An eligible PI may submit one Preliminary Application (PreApp). PreApps will be evaluated by scientific specialists from outside California who are experts in specific areas of research described in the PreApp and by CIRM scientific staff, based on the scientific review criteria described in section IX of this RFA. Applicants whose projects are judged as most promising, competitive, and responsive to the RFA will be invited to submit a full application. All other applicants will be deferred, with the opportunity to apply in response to a future RFA.
Preliminary Application (PreApp) Instructions
The web-based PreApp proposal will be made available on June 30, 2011 through the CIRM Grants Management Portal at https://grants.cirm.ca.gov. All PreApps must be submitted online through the CIRM Grants Management Portal.
Each PI may submit only a single PreApp for this RFA.
The deadline for submission is 5:00 pm (PDT) on Aug 10, 2011. No exceptions to this deadline will be made.
To submit a Preliminary Application:
1. Go to the Grants Management Portal (https://grants.cirm.ca.gov) and log in with your existing CIRM Username and Password. If you do not have a Username, click on the "New User" link and follow the instructions to create a CIRM Username and password.
2. After logging in, your home page will display a list of open RFAs. Click on the “Start a PreApp” link corresponding to the Early Translation III RFA.
3. Complete each section by clicking on the appropriate link and following the posted instructions. Once the online proposal sections have been completed, you may download, fill out and submit the signature page and Related Business Entities (if applicable) templates through the “Upload Required Documents” section.
4. The “Done with Preliminary Application” button becomes enabled when all sections are complete and all required documents have been uploaded. Once “Done with Preliminary Application” has been selected, you will no longer be able to make changes to your PreApp.
5. To ensure the process is complete, go back to your home page and check the list under “Your Preliminary Applications”. The status for Early Translational III should be “Submitted”.
Full Application Process
Full Applications will only be accepted from applicants who 1) submitted a PreApp and 2) are invited by CIRM to submit a full application.
The application for the CIRM Early Translational Awards III RFA consists of four parts:
Part A: Application Information Form (Web-based form)
Part B: Proposal (MS Word template)
Part C: Biographical Sketches and Letters of Support (MS Word template)
Part D: Related Business Entities Disclosure Form (Adobe PDF template)
All four parts of the full Application for CIRM Early Translation III must be submitted together and received by CIRM no later than 5:00 pm (PST) on December 15, 2011, in both electronic form and in hard copy (a signed original and five copies). It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet this deadline; no exceptions will be made.
You will need a fully functional copy of Adobe Acrobat version 8 or 9 (Standard or Professional) to complete, print, and save Parts D of the full Application. We recommend using Adobe Acrobat version 8.1 (or the latest version). Using Adobe Acrobat Reader will not permit you to save information that is entered in the form.
|Schedule of CIRM deadlines and reviews||Date|
|Pre-Applications due||5:00 pm (PDT), August 10, 2011|
|Invitations for full Applications sent out by CIRM||October 28, 2011|
|Full Applications due||5:00 pm (PST), December 15, 2011|
|Review of full Applications by Grants Working Group (GWG)||March, 2012|
|Review and Approval by ICOC||May, 2012|
|Earliest Funding of Awards||Summer, 2012|
No exceptions will be made to the indicated deadlines.
For information about this RFA or the review process:
Gilberto R Sambrano, Ph.D
Senior Review Officer
California Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Phone: (415) 396-9103